The Great ShakeOut is a day of special events featuring the largest earthquake drill ever, organized to inspire everyone to get ready for big earthquakes, and to prevent disasters from becoming catastrophes. What we do now, before a big earthquake, will determine what our lives will be like afterwards. The ShakeOut drill will occur in houses, businesses, and public spaces alike throughout the country at 10:16 a.m. on October 16, 2014
- If you are inside a building, move no more than a few steps, then Drop, Cover and Hold On:
- DROP to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!),
- Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk or table, and
- HOLD ON to it until the shaking stops. Stay indoors till the shaking stops and you are sure it is safe to exit.
- If you are outdoors when the shaking starts, you should find a clear spot away from buildings, trees, streetlights, and power lines, then Drop, Cover and Hold On. Stay there until the shaking stops.
- If you are driving, pull over to a clear location, stop and stay there with your seatbelt fastened until the shaking stops. Once the shaking stops, proceed with caution and avoid bridges or ramps that might have been damaged.
Free registration at www.ShakeOut.org/california/register will pledge an individual’s or group’s participation in this important preparedness event. We’ve registered, have you?